Monday 11 March 2013

Second Chances

I have been over the moon these past few days with some great news. One of my first posts on this blog was about the Nike Womens' Half Marathon that my friends and I had been trying to get into by lottery. This has been one of my dream races. Unfortunately, we were not selected. But this past Friday - International Womens' Day, I got a text message from one of my run buddies regarding an email about this race.

Nike had decided to give a second chance to the runners that did not get into the half marathon the first time. I had to reread the email multiple times and pinch myself. The only stipulation was that we  run a virtual 10K race on the weekend of March 9/10 as well as run the half marathon in April. Spaces were limited, so we were a bit frantic. We had already registered for another race the same weekend. I was torn. I have been trying to get into the Nike Womens' Marathon San Francisco for the past 4 years.

After consulting my run buddies and my supportive hubby, we decided to go ahead and register. What are the chances that we will be able to have this opportunity again. So Washington, DC here we come. It will be my first race after baby and I will be bringing baby along. My dear friend (LOVE HER) has agreed to fly down and help me watch my baby while I run this inaugural race through the U.S Capitol. I have looked over the race route and it looks like I will be running past all the landmarks. I CAN'T WAIT!






I'm right on track with training as well. I just finished week 10 of my training plan and happy to say that I'm feeling pretty good.

Along with our registration into the Nike Half Marathon, we also had to run the virtual 10K this weekend using a Nike+ app. I had planned to run 16 kms with my run buddy who is also going to be running Nike with me. We could not have asked for a nicer day. The weather was warm, sun was shining and we were still in shock that we were actually going to run in Washington.



Since we registered the day before the virtual 10K we did not get the official race shirt from Nike, so we sported our Nike caps instead.

What is your dream race? 
Happy running.. have a great week :)

Alice




No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...