Monday 21 January 2019

Week 10 Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Training

After a quick weekend at home, it was back to the grind.

Monday was another day for speed.  My photo pretty much depicts how I felt about the workout, 5x400.  Running round and round until I wanted to vomit.  Happy to get it in before going on a field trip with my daughters class.


Tuesday, I was scheduled to work to Hong Kong, which means no running.  I used to wake up at 4:30 before my flight to run on the treadmill before working the 15 hour flight to Hong Kong, but those days are over.  I now wake up just in time to pack the kids lunches before rushing off to the airport to catch my flight.  

View from 39,000 ft.
I am now usually so tired after working the flight over to Hong Kong that I don't workout on the day I land and save myself for a trail run the morning before my flight home to Toronto.  I try to get in a good meal and get some rest.

Nothing like a Good Bowl of Noodles

Thursday morning, I drag myself out of bed to the closest trail; Lion Rock.  It was the weekend leading up to the Hong Kong 100km Race.  I was excited to see trail markers and some sections that I usually run.  

Race Markers #HK100

I could not imagine racing an ultra with Hong Kong's insane stairs.  They are unforgiving and never ending.  


It's always a hard workout but completely satisfying when I make it to the top. The trails are usually quite and occasionally I will come across fellow hikers and some wild animals.


I come up from the back of the mountain and over the top. You can make out the shape of the Lion to see why this peak is named Lion Rock.  It is quite amazing that there are so many trails right in the city beside all the hustle and bustle of the city down below.

Can you Make out the Lion?
Made it back in time for a quick shower before heading straight to the airport for my flight back home to the freezing cold temperatures.

Friday was long run #1 of 2.  It was actually not as cold as the week before, but once again we were warned of another extreme cold alert headed to the city for the weekend. Because of time limits, we took our run partly on the trails and part on the road.  

Look, No Gloves for Photo

City Trail Run

It cooled down quite a bit for long run #2 on Saturday, but we got it done. It's always so much harder on day 2 partly because it is a super early morning wake up and we're always tired from the run the day before.


The extreme cold weather moved in that day and got colder as the day went on. By the time we woke up on Sunday, it was -29 degrees with the windchill.


The sun was out which made it seem like the gorgeous day, but it was frigid.  The kids were adamant about getting out and doing some winter activity, so we braved the outdoors for 1 hour and took the kiddos tobogganing.  What a great way to end the week.


Week 10 done :)  How was your week? 














No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...