Monday 14 January 2019

Week 9 Back to Work

Yeah!!  The kids are back to school this week which means this mama is also back to work.

With the kids back in school, I was able to get back to training. Monday was speed work with 5x400m with rests in between finishing with a nice slow 3km cool down around the block.  It was nice to be back out and the weather was looking up.

Fuel Post Speed Work
Tuesday, I met up with the gang again for a nice solid road run.  It had been a while since I had run road.  I was sad to see how slow I've gotten from running in the trails. I got used to the slower pace and many stops.  My buds were kind to me and let me run at a slower pace than they were used to, but I was panting to keep up with them. I can't believe I was dying to hold a 6:28 min/km.  It was a tough pill to swallow, but I will just have to work harder to get my speed back.


I flew out that evening to London for work and arrived Wednesday. I took a quick nap then headed out to shop as my kids gave me a list of goodies that they needed and then met up with my cousin for dinner and drinks. We headed over to one of our favourite Ramen spots for Truffle Ramen. It was to die for and worth every single calorie.

Cousin in London

Kanada-Ya
I woke up early Thursday morning before my flight home and headed out to Regent's Park for a quick run. The sun was just starting to peak and many runners were already out. It was nice to be able to run in capris and not winter gear for a change.


Many Routes Through the Park

Got back in time for long runs with my buddies. Friday was the start of an extreme cold alert that was moving into Southern Ontario.



Friday, we headed into the trails for 5 and a half hours in -23 degree weather.  It was not nice at all. It was awful. The skies were clear, but the icy trails were covered with fresh snow which made footing hard.  We went up to the Durham Forest and explored two new sections.  We were supposed to be in the woods for 6 hours but called it quits after 5:30 with 31 km's completed as we were frozen and needed to thaw out.

So cold, my iPhone died :(

Saturday, it seemed to be a bit warmer, -12 with the windchill and I headed back into the trails. We went to trails just south of us and it was surprising to see the difference in the trail conditions.  There was little to no snow, but still ice on many parts of the trails.  Finished with 22 km.


Crazy Ski Hill for Repeats


Week 9 done with 75 km's. Still kind of low and will try to pick up the next few weeks. How was your week?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...