Monday 18 February 2013

Week 8 - Never too cold to Run

This week has been a pretty good week for me. I've been able to log in some much needed miles.  Most of which was done on the treadmill. I was able to get out for my long run on Sunday which happened to be the coldest day of the week. I haven't run in this kind of weather since training for a half 2 years ago. Since this was going to be my only opportunity to get out, I didn't even think twice. The weather forecast was -20 with the windchill. I quickly suited up after putting baby down for nap and ran out the door.

When the wind first hit my face, I teared up right away. My eyes burned from the cold and I wanted to turn around and run back home. This week's long run was 12km. My sister in law had saw me suiting up and said that I should warm up after a little while. It took 2 kms of running before I felt my face again. I could see many drivers on the road staring at me wondering what kind of crazy person was out running.... ME of course.

I was able to better my time from last week's long run by 4 minutes. I think this is because the sidewalks were now clean and every time I got to a traffic light, it would turn green, so I didn't have many stops. I carried 2 bottles of water in my fuel belt that were starting to freeze as I was running. I had to conserve some to drink with my chews that I had brought to fuel me after about 45 minutes of running. I couldn't wait to eat my chews when the time came. My fuel of choice for this run was the PowerBar Energy Blast gel filled chews. They are like gummy bear candies, but full of the right stuff to give energy to my muscles. I really like them because I have a candy weakness and these taste just like candies. The only issue I have with them is that I need to eat them every 10-15 minutes and I have to carry them in a pocket and dig them out every time.  For this reason, I like to eat them on the runs between 12-18 kms.

I am starting to try the gels since I will be training for the full marathon distance after the half. I would also have to carry less when running which is key when racing. Up to now, I've been training lightly and the thought of running a race has been so far away.  But I am now into week 8 of my 16 week training for the half marathon.... yeah!!  I'm halfway there.



How were you long runs this week?

What are your favourite choices for fuel during your runs? 

Have a great week... Alice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...