Thursday 14 February 2013

Happy Valentines :)

Happy Valentines day to you all. Hope you all get spoiled today. I was able to get in a 3.20 miles while the baby was napping. I've been having a hard time getting in the mileage this week because of his lack of naps and by the time I've got him to bed, I'm SO wiped out. All I had was an hour, so I raced down to my beloved mothership and ran as much as I could fit in. I'm so happy I did because my dear hubby got me a sweet treats that I devoured after the run.



I had started this post on Sunday after my long run but it was Chinese New Year and I was off to another feast. The weekend started with a HUMONGOUS snow storm. It was the most amount of snow we had seen in a long time. I think when it was all said and done, we had 30 cm of snow. I am so glad that I am on maternity leave because I heard from my colleagues about the long delays at the airport and being stuck on the air plane for hours. I am a bit of a tiger mom because I did send my daughter to school. The school buses were cancelled but the school was not closed and we are a few minutes away, I figured she would have much more fun playing with her friends at school than hanging out at home with me and baby.... the truth was that I just wanted some quiet time. It was definitely a snow day. My poor hubby ended up being one of the lucky parents that was able to pick up their kid without getting stuck in the snow and digging the car out. Do you want to know why? He picked her up with a sled.


We started the weekend with my grandmother's 86th birthday on Saturday with a 12 course over the top dinner. All I could think about when I was eating was the long run that I was going to run the next day. I love Sunday's because it's Church day and long run day. My in laws usually visit on Sundays which means I can dump the kids and go out and run. As you can see from the photo above, I was praying that the sidewalks would be shovelled. The last thing I wanted was another treadmill run. So, how did I do? 


I had an AMAZING run. It was sunny only -4 and most of the sidewalks were shovelled. I had to change up my route because of some of the sidewalks were not shovelled, but overall it was a fantastic run. 

Some things to keep in mind when running after a snow storm.
- don't expect all the sidewalks in your route will be clean
- be prepared to change your route as you go 
- plan to run in some snow, which is kind of like running in sand
- hydrate, hydrate. Bring water, if not you can eat snow :)
- bring some Kleenex for the runny nose

How was your Valentine's day? Any tips for winter running? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...