Every time I turn on the television or radio, the weather is always the main topic. I have been trying to train and get back into the groove of things since the new year and I can't seem to get my groove back. I have signed up for races in hopes to get me motivated, but every time I look out the window, I am just so disappointed with what I see outside and want to curl up under the covers.
I have gone out for a few long runs as I have some spring races planned and the treadmill is just killing me. I have been asked by many friends what should they wear when the weather gets so cold.
Runners world has a great link for you to plug in the conditions, but here is my list of must haves for cold weather running.
- Long sleeve base layer made of wool or polyester
- Short sleeve tech shirt if it is super cold I'll wear another Long sleeve tech shirt
- Warm running tights
- Warm wicking socks, I like the Smartwool PhD Running socks. Knee high compression socks are also good go keep the calves warm
- Running jacket/shell to keep the heat in and you dry. If you don't have one, add more layers
- Balaclava (optional)
- Neck Warmer
- Sunglasses for nicer days
- Tissues in your pocket for runny noses
- Running shoes
- Yaktrax for those icy days
Some extras that I always have with me
- my Road ID
- some good music
- my Garmin and heart rate strap
I am hoping for some warmer weather very soon, but for now I will continue putting on all my layers and heading out into the snowy roads and train as much as I can.
What are you Must- Haves for cold weather running?
Any tips to help me get out of my funk?
Thanks for reading and have a GREAT day!