Thursday 20 March 2014

St. Patrick's Day 5km

I started off my 2014 race season with the coldest race I have ever ran.  I had convinced my friends and husband to run this race with me as it was a day after my husbands birthday and you would also get beer and chilli at the end of the race.

Hubs and I at start line
When we signed up for the race in early January we were thinking that it would be somewhat warm and spring like by March 16th, but boy were we ever wrong. The temperature was -20 degrees celcius  when we woke and there was no way it was going to be warming up anytime soon. 

The race was starting right by the Steam Whistle Brewery which was also where the finish would be. Everyone running seemed to be huddling together inside the brewery. My toes were still frozen from the drive down and I was starting to think that I was going to lose them. It was a fairy small race with 1120 participants and took you through the downtown core of Toronto.

I started the race off with a fairly good pace but my right leg cramped after the first kilometre, then my shoelace got undone. My feet were still frozen and I wasn't sure how bad the cramp was as my leg and I wasn't even sure which muscle was affected. I stopped off the the side to tie my shoelace, but my fingers were frozen so it took me a couple of tries before I was able to tie the laces. I figured the cramp was in my right calf and decided to try to run through it. My run buddy came up from behind and saw me hobbling and asked if I was o.k and I just winced in pain and told her that my leg had cramped up, but to go ahead. After running another 2 kilometres, my cramp seemed to go down. I tried to pick up the pace and get a decent finish. Thank goodness it was only a 5km race, I sucked it up for the last 2 kilometres and pushed ahead. I knew that warmth and the finish line was just around the corner.

Results:

27:28.7
Pace 5:30
Category place - 44/231
Gender Pace - 100/634

Enjoying my post race Green Beer

I hobbled away from the race with a few lessons learned. Warm up properly for a race no matter the distance especially when it's FREEZING. I will stretch from now on and try to make sure all my appendages are warmed up before starting the race and no matter how cold it is, I will put one foot in front of the other and power on.

Our Medal

What is the coldest race you ever ran?

Have you ever had any race stopping injuries and how did you handle it?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...