Tuesday 24 September 2013

Rest is not a bad thing

I just got back from a lovely week away with my family in hot and sunny Florida. I was concerned at first about how I would be able to accommodate my training with the vacation, but I decided to use the week as a "rest" week.

My weekly mileage has been quickly adding up and long runs are getting longer. I am running distances that I have never run before. I never thought that I would be running a half marathon distance for a regular training run, but I am.

It has been a somewhat lonely journey. I have had a lot of support from my family and friends, but in the end it's really just me and the pavement. I was starting to get some aches and pains, so the last minute vacation was just what I needed, mentally and physically.

I squeezed in my long run before we left as I knew there was no way I would be able to run 28 kilometres in the Florida heat and the treadmill was NOT an option. But since I am in training mode, I did follow my coach's Tuesday tempo workout and squeezed in a quick 5km run. The average daily temperature in Orlando was in the 40's which is about 100 Fahrenheit. I don't know how runners who live in these awesome places train for races. It was SO hot ! The best part was jumping into the pool after each run.

After an awesome week relaxing with the family, we returned home to what felt like FREEZING temperatures. It took some time to adjust, but it's actually gorgeous fall weather. Autumn is my favourite season. It's not too hot and not too cold, perfect for running. I got back just in time for my long run. The week off was nice, but it is now crunch time. I have 25 more days until the marathon
My last long run was 30 kilometres (18.6miles). I can't say it flew by, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was hoping that I would be able to pick up my speed, but alas my legs just wouldn't do it. I also developed some painful side stitches during the run and made me stop dead in my tracks. I'm hoping to figure out why this happened and how to prevent it.

Cool long run

I am excited to be starting week 19 of my 22 week training plan. Today's tempo run was nice and easy, I'm hoping I can say the same thing after the 32 kilometre run planned for this Sunday's long run.

Have a Great Week

Please feel free to leave a comment and say hello.

Have you ever experienced and cramps of side stitches, if so, how did you remedy them?

Do you like to run alone or with someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Antelope Canyon 50 Miler Recap Part 2

We were lucky that the race start was only a 15 minute drive from our hotel, so we were able to sleep until the very last minute.  Race star...